INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Can you advise me please. We were involved in an incident at

Good Morning
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Can you advise me please.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We were involved in an incident at Marks & Spencers my partner came and met me after work on Friday and I had not finished my shopping but I needed to nip to the ladies, he was tired and had been struck in traffic when I came out of the ladies I could not find him. the next thing was the store security were bringing him back into the store he thought I had finished and walked out to his car.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Needless to say they thought we were I can barely say the words as I am so embarassed. The police were called but they seem to understand it was an error as I showed them my account and the money was there as I had started my xmas shopping.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem is we have now received a letter from a solicitor each asking us to pay £85.00
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning I am in Northern Ireland

Thank you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We have received my partner and I a letter from a solicitor asking us to pay £85.00 with regards to an unfortunate incident in Marks and Spencers?
We do not understand why we have to pay this?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We were involved in an incident at Marks & Spencers my partner came and met me after work on Friday and I had not finished my shopping but I needed tonip to the ladies, he was tired and had been struck in traffic when I came out of the ladies I could not find him. the next thing was the store security were bringing him back into the store he thought I had finished and walked out to h
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Needless to say they thought we were I can barely say the words as I am so embarassed. The police were called but they seem to understand it was an error as I showed them my account and the money was there as I had started my xmas shopping.

M & S dealt with the incident in the day. The fact that you were apprehended at the store and then let go, would mean that it is likely that you would have been banned from the store.

As the Police were not involved, there would be no fine and no criminal record.

M & S and other retaileslers sometimes instruct solicitors to carry out civil recovery, however, it is suggested that you ignore any such letters.

They will generally write to you 4 to 5 times and then give up.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We then went home but a few days later received a letter each for £85.00 from a solicitor in england we are confused as to why we have to pay this?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They are threatening civil action?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If we call them would that make matters worse?

This is common. It would.c9st a lot more for them to pursue this through the courts and they are unlikely to do so due to previous caselaw on similar matters.

I would suggest that you do not call them as engaging them would only make them write to you further.

If you choose to do so, you can pay it and it should just all go away.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

It's a pleasure.

Good Luck!