How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7104
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'm in a partnership in a limited company. The shares are

This answer was rated:

Hi. I'm in a partnership in a limited company. The shares are allocated 50/50 but I have decided that I no longer wish to be in business with the person. He in passing has expressed an interest in buying my share. I would be open to this, however, the business owes me £5,800 which I would like to recoup plus a £5,000 business loan. Would it be possible to recoup this money? Would my accountant be responsible for valuing my time in the business?
Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I live in London and no I haven't.
Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: No nothing. We have a shareholders agreement in place and that is it.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.


Unless you have a written shareholders agreement covering all this, there is no automatic yes or no answer to your questions and you should negotiate these issues with your co-owner with a view to reaching an amicable position.

If that doesn't work, then I am afraid you would need to file court proceedings and let the court determine the outcome.

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA and 8 other Law Specialists are ready to help you