UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I own a flat which is tenanted, on Friday the occupants of

I own a flat which is tenanted, on Friday the occupants of the flat directly below called me to tell me that water was pouring into her flat from under her bath and she said that is was coming from my fla,t
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I called a plumber who went round and found that the waste pipe from the bath had become disconnected and had traveled down a common pipe way and had entered into the flat below.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Putney London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, the occupant was concerned about having her flooring replaced, I suggested she made contact with her insurance company and I would give details of mine. She said she did not have insurance. I contacted my insurance company and they said that they would discuss and settle with the other insurance company. They could not settle with her directly. I received a quote £1500 to replace / repair later in the day on Friday. What is my obligation

If you agree that water from your flat damaged her flat, then you would be liable for the same. However, your insurer should pick the bill up and legally, your insurer cannot insist that they will settle only with her insurer, particularly as she has none.

She may get a solicitor to write a letter to your insurer asking them to settle.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Many thanks for your reply, I will speak with my insurer again. Alan Bartlett

You are welcome.

Please click on 5 stars to leave a positive rating.