Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

After a friend died without a will and her next of kin died

After a friend died without a will and her next of kin died very soon after, some property that had been left for safekeeping with someone has been kept by them because there is no paperwork to confirm who gets what? Is this an impossibility - or is there a way that the property (in the form of 12 musical instruments) can be retrieved? There is nothing in writing and only remembered conversations - so it's very messy. Any advice gratefully received.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: London
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: none, I'm afraid
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it - thanks

There may be no paperwork to confirm who gets what but that doesn’t mean it is not decreed by law.

There are strict rules of intestacy if someone dies without a will.

A spouse gets the first GBP250,000 of the estate and 50% of the remainder and children get everything after that.

With, the entire estate goes to parents and have no parents, to siblings and if no parents and no siblings, to cousins.

If anyone in those categories has died but left children, the children get the parents share.

If someone dies intestate there is no provision for assets to be distributed, everything gets sold and the money is dealt with unless all the beneficiaries agree otherwise.

If you can give me some more detail, I can probably answer you further.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No spouse, children, family alive. So no beneficiaries. Does this mean the property is sold and goes to the state?