plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

What is the process for making a small claim in the courts

Hi , what is the process for making a small claim in the courts and costs?? thanks rob
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: surrey
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don’t think so

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

How much is your claim for?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Under £1000

OK, thank you.

You need to start with a letter before claim (see the template below):

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

This sets out what you are seeking and you give them 14 days for settlement.

If the amount is not settled, you start the small claim here:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

To issue online, with a claim between £500 and £1000, the fee is £60. You claim this back from the other side if you are successful in your claim. See here for a link to the EX50 which sets out all fees in the civil courts:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/789201/ex50-eng.pdf

Can I clarify anything further at this stage?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks for that. With this form can I also claim for loss of earnings and having to set up a redirect mail account?? Thanks

My pleasure. If these are part of your claim then yes, you can include them.

I hope this clarifies things?

If so, please take a second to rate my response with 5 stars as this will credit me for my time.

Thanks and do let me know if you have further questions, follow ups are part of the service, even if you have already taken the time to rate for me.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What about bringing a solicitor on board as I am not good in court situations ?? What would this also cost?? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
C

You are best instructing a direct access barrister for a court hearing - they will appear for a fixed fee and just do the important part which is representing you. Solicitors will charge for running the case which will cost more. For a quote you could contact sites such as www.clerksroom.com. I help this helps.

Please do take a second to accept my answer and provide a 5 star rating to credit me for my time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What do you mean by “accept” your answer , what domineer you do??? Thanks

Sorry it's just answer terminology - by clicking on the stars and providing a 5 star rating for me, you'll be accepting that I've answered your question. It's what credits me for my time - so I'd appreciate it if you would take a second to do this for me. Thanks and best wishes.