How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6376
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

What is the process for making a small claim in the courts

This answer was rated:

Hi , what is the process for making a small claim in the courts and costs?? thanks rob
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: surrey
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don’t think so

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

How much is your claim for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Under £1000

OK, thank you.

You need to start with a letter before claim (see the template below):

This sets out what you are seeking and you give them 14 days for settlement.

If the amount is not settled, you start the small claim here:

To issue online, with a claim between £500 and £1000, the fee is £60. You claim this back from the other side if you are successful in your claim. See here for a link to the EX50 which sets out all fees in the civil courts:

Can I clarify anything further at this stage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks for that. With this form can I also claim for loss of earnings and having to set up a redirect mail account?? Thanks

My pleasure. If these are part of your claim then yes, you can include them.

I hope this clarifies things?

If so, please take a second to rate my response with 5 stars as this will credit me for my time.

Thanks and do let me know if you have further questions, follow ups are part of the service, even if you have already taken the time to rate for me.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about bringing a solicitor on board as I am not good in court situations ?? What would this also cost?? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

You are best instructing a direct access barrister for a court hearing - they will appear for a fixed fee and just do the important part which is representing you. Solicitors will charge for running the case which will cost more. For a quote you could contact sites such as I help this helps.

Please do take a second to accept my answer and provide a 5 star rating to credit me for my time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean by “accept” your answer , what domineer you do??? Thanks

Sorry it's just answer terminology - by clicking on the stars and providing a 5 star rating for me, you'll be accepting that I've answered your question. It's what credits me for my time - so I'd appreciate it if you would take a second to do this for me. Thanks and best wishes.

plclegal and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you