How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9850
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Am I liable to pay a bill of £29.46 for energy which is over

This answer was rated:

Am I liable to pay a bill of £29.46 for energy which is over a year old. I was unaware of any outstanding account on this account with First Utility and since I left them they are now called Shell Energy
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: No I have just had a conversation with Shell Energy who are looking for the money.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Talking to you is the only thing I have done apart from asking for proof of debt but am not sure how I would clarify it through a copy of an invoice.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

So you didn't have an account with them? Or did you pay your final bill and they are now pursuing you for more?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had an account with First Utility which I left over a year ago and went to Toto energy who when bust and am now with EDF Energy. As far as I am aware there is no outstanding account - in fact I believe I was in credit and am pretty sure I received that credit in my bank.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry but I am worried about what you may cost me so I am calling this process to an End thank you Margaret Gammage

Hi, there is a trial fee of £5 which refundable and you can cancel if you are not satisfied with the service. A phone call is entirely optional. Let me know if you would like to proceed. If not then I will ask customer services to cancel the question.


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As long as it wont cost any more than the 5 I would like to proceed thank you

No problem, Shell Energy have also approached others in the same way (you are not the first person on this site with this query).

I presume you have not yet made a complaint to Shell?. If not then the advice is to make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to Ofgem (their regulator) - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a cancellation of the bill. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

You can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here :

or you can send them an email to : [email protected]­

If they sue then the court will send you a claim form and a response pack - you must fill in the response pack to confirm you want to defend the claim and then return it to the court. If you ignored it or delayed then the claimant can request default judgment (which means a county court judgment, or a CCJ).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you