12826847

I tried to pay for parking at a local railway station. The

I tried to pay for parking at a local railway station. The automated telephone service requested information which I provided. I have since received a parking penalty notice. I appealed this and am now being told that the parking location entered was not recognized and therefore no payment was taken.
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: It was a penalty notice. No I have not approached a solicitor
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ZZPS Limited on behalf of Saba Park Solutions. According to Saba the automated service to register parking is through connect cashless parking

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
yes - am I liable

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.

Alternatively, you can offer them £10 in full and final settlement. If they cash it then there is a pretty overwhelming argument that settles the claim.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is that the sum of the original fine of £100? They know want an additiona £70.00 for admin charges.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, Are you still there?

Whatever the sum of the original fine was. Normally it is about 80.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/