How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 67801
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have had a situation at work(i show people around houses

This answer was rated:

Hi i have had a situation at work(i show people around houses for sale) i was asked outside the house by the people who were going to view that it had been a very bad split up and this is the 1st viewing i made them aware that if she is confrontationable we will leave and they said yes thats fine.....the female vendor said she heard me say to the viewrs that i said she was confrontatioble and she is demanding compensation for damage character
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: reported it to my manager
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes when i gave viewing feedback to her ex partner he came into the office and told me some pretty horrible things thats she has done

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How has this effected your work? Please provide some more information

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats fine thank you

Thanks. I have already requested some information above; lease provide this so that I may assist

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please don't charge me£44 for the non call
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am i still connected

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system, giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost, as soon as you provide the information requested above

How has this effected your work? Please provide some more information

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I feel sick with the threats from this woman and i just want to know if she can sue me like she says she is going to do
Her back ground is very disturbing and she is not stable her estranged partner has had to go to the High Court to force her to sell the house it has taken him 2 yrs and he says she will be difficult and try tactics
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi are we still connected

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If she is trying to threaten you with legal action, it would most likely be for defamation. Many people are keen on suing for defamation without having full appreciation of the law or practicalities in doing so. I will try and clarify the position below.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. There has to be a defamatory statement - the assessment that is often used to establish this is whether the statement tends to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally

2. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant – this will vary based on what effect it will have but it really has to be something sufficiently serious

3. The statement has been published by the defendant to a third party

4. The claimant must prove that the words complained of were published about him - this should not be an issue if the claimant is named or clearly identified.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has taken place, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is often complex and prohibitively expensive. A claim must be made in the High Court and will likely require the help of professional defamation lawyers, so the costs will often be high right from the outset, usually in the thousands. There is also no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally.

You must also consider whether you can potentially defend the claim. For example, this can happen by proving the statement was true or an honest opinion which could have been made based on the available facts.

So in my professional opinion these are just empty and unrealistic threats and the chances of her going to court, paying all the money needed for the claim and being successful are very slim.

Does this answer your query?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so very much i have been worried sick

All the best