How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14307
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

If I own a house with someone else and I have to go into a

This answer was rated:

If I own a house with someone else and I have to go into a nursing home. Does that mean the house has to be sold to help pay for my care ?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Richmond North York’s
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My son in law and me are purchasing the home together. I will live in it by my self until such time as I either pass away or need care. It will also say that when I pass the house will become his and daughters as inheritance.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How long is the wait time?

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

for background -

who will be your beneficaries?

who's name on the mortgage?

who will pay the mortgage?

F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My daughter and we have no mortgage

thank you - I have client at moment but will call asap - if this is ok please reply to this as then i know you are waiting -

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Call me when you can

I tried to call at four p.m. but there was no answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You have not answered my question, but still charged me a fee. Unless I get a refund I will take this further.


If you own a house with someone else and you have to go into a nursing home, you should immediately sever the joint tenancy because that ring fences your half of the property in the event that your co-owner dies.

If you don’t understand how to do that, please let me know and I will point you in the right direction.


If the houses tenants in common (joint tenancy severed) then only your half of the house is at risk to pay for care fees.


In respect of your half of the house, it does not normally get taken into account if it is still occupied by:


A partner or spouse provided you have been together for at least 12 months,

a divorced spouse or partner if they are a single parent with a child under 18

a relative aged over 60

or a child of yours under 18:

a little reading from Age UK:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But I’ve not had a callback


I was waiting for you to let me know that you are available. I can call now