UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I work for a company in South Devon and we are looking to

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I work for a company in South Devon and we are looking to employ a Nigerian national who is currently working in Dubai - do we need a VISA for him first or can he come to the uk, start working and we make the application for him that way
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We have not taken any yet. I worked with him in London 5 years ago but I think he may have been on a tourist or student VISA. I have identified a role in the business I am currently employed with that he would be perfect for. We have not advertised the job
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No - the earliest I can get an appointment is 6th January for a telephone consultation with Albany Solicitors
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not especially - the company is a bakery

He needs a work visa before he may come to the UK to work for you.

The usual category is a Tier 2 general visa and you need to be a licensed sponsor: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/sponsorship-information-for-employers-and-educators

Getting licensed is a complicated process unfortunately.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do we start the process for becoming a licensed sponsor. Is there a firm we can use?

There are several firms that assist with this e.g. https://www.davidsonmorris.com/tier-2-sponsor-licence-application/

All the best