Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have my Christmas tickets to fly back to my country from

Hello! I have my Christmas tickets to fly back to my country from the UK, which I’ve bought in July. In September I’ve started working in the UK and now they won’t let me go on holiday. I could get a doctor’s note and go on a sick leave, but would I be okay flying then? Wouldn’t I be stopped at the airport?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coventry, West Midlands
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing else than described in the first message
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok

Why won't your employer let you take any annual leave and also, how long exactly have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
They won’t let me go because everybody has booked their holiday in summer when I was not here and most of the employees are going on holiday, so they won’t let me go because they cannot let anymore people go.
I have worked there from 2018 October to 2019 June, then I went home for the summer (my contract was terminated for that period) and now I was employed again from mid-September

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. The employer has the legal right to reject your holiday request, even if you have already booked your tickets. That is why you should always get the holiday approved first before you make travel arrangements. So it is entirely legal for them to reject your request and approve holidays.

You can still sign yourself off sick and be off work that way, but obviously if you are not genuinely sick then that would amount to misconduct and if the employer finds out they could potentially discipline you and even dismiss you for it. It is just going to be suspicious if you have suddenly gone off sick over the period which you had previously requested as holidays and it was denied.

If you decide to take the risk then no one will stop you from travelling – the immigration authorities at the airport have no interest whatsoever about your employment situation and whether you re signed off sick or not and o one will check that so do not worry that you will not be allowed to travel.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes, thank You very much.

All the best