How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2721
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I need help with an application for an extension to a

This answer was rated:

I need help with an application for an extension to a spouses visa, the question is under the heading: Current Partner -
Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner (including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)?
My wife entered the UK on a spouses visa so does that mean that the answer is no?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am a British Citizen from birth we both live in the UK, my wife is from the Philippines and her spouses visa ends on Jan 3rd 2020 so we are applying for our first extension
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes please do we also need to send photos, letters etc

Hi, thank you for your question.

I can confirm that your answer will be yes as this is the first time you are submitting an in country application to extend your visa in the UK, it would be the first time you are applying under the partner route and an extension with your current spouse.

I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating and feedback.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. Can you also advise if we need to submit letters from friends, photographs, text messages etc as we did with the first (out of country) spouses visa application?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, final question, The spouses visa expires on 3rd Jan, if we send the application today will this be enough time as I read that it can take up to 8 weeks, if that is true what would happen if it goes over the 3rd Jan date?I know we can pay an extra £800 to fast track but we can't really afford that amount.

Thank you for you reply.

Yes I would recommend to submit the supporting documents you mentioned to show the Home Office that your relationship is still subsisting. You should send photographs since her arrival to the UK, letters in her name she has received since being in the UK, her driving licence, letters from friends. Please ensure evidence you submit is since her arrival to the UK not the same evidence you submitted when she submitted her application from her home country.

In respect of your last question I would recommend sending the application no more than 28 days prior to the expiry of her spouse visa. If the application goes over then her visa will automatically be extended until a decision is made. The fact that the home office take longer to decide your application will not have any affect on her legal status in the UK.

I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating and feedback.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much that is so helpful. I am just going out but will provide a 5 star rating and a review on my return. Kind regards

Its a pleasure.

Kind regards

UK_Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I received a speedy and knowledgeable response to my questions which helped me move forward with my wife's visa application. Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Can I get help with some further questions on the visa application please? on the application form it has the following headings:
1. Non-applying partner for Mrs Alyn Liwagon Macdonald
Have you previously been married or in a civil partnership? (I put NO as my wife hasn't been married before but I am confused as to why both my wife and myself are referred to as "Non Applying"? )
Non-applying partner for Mr Roddy Stewart Macdonald:
Has Mr Roddy Stewart Macdonald been previously married or in a civil partnership? (I put YES as I have been married before and have listed the details on the next question in their form. Am I doing this correctly)?2. Does Mr Roddy Stewart Macdonald have any other children in the UK that are not applying on this application? (I have two adult children, 1 is married (Aged 27) and lives in Scotland and the other (aged 30) lives in New Zealand. Do I need to put them down as they are no longer children and have not lived with me since 1985? If I do put yes, they then ask for proof of address etc, this will prove difficult as my daughter and I are not communicating. I am guessing that as they are adults and don't live with me or receive any support in any way from me that I don't need to put yes)?

Hi Thank you for your reply.

1. Regarding the application it seems you may have clicked to ticked something incorrect as they should not be asking both of you regarding non applying partners.

2. I would state NO as both are adults and are not children.

Kind regards