JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I need help with writing a police statement for road

hello I need help with writing a police statement for road accident
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing the police just contacted me to ask for statement about the accident
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Can you give further details - are they talking about a road traffic offence on your part or is it more about an accident claim?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hello jim.
i was hit by a car last week. at the time i couldn’t give statement as i was unconscious and suffered a concussion so i got an email from police to ask for details and i didn’t know if my statement is good
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hello

Hi, this is not live chat so there may be delays with a response.

I can check your proposed statement if you would like.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
this is the email i received from the police

Thanks, you just need to reply to them with your recollection of events (to the best of your knowledge).

You do not need a lawyer to do this - they just need to hear it from you with what happened.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
this is the statement that i wrote but i didn’t send yet. apparently the driver is trying to ditch liability and insurance and wants to blame me for it

Thanks, that reply is fine - you were on a zebra crossing and the driver would have failed to notice or they drove too fast - breach of the Highway Code. You can say that you checked it was clear before crossing and the driver simply didn't stop (but as I say, this has to come from you and it is your recollection of events). There is a very high burden on a driver of a vehicle versus a pedestrian because they are driving a vehicle which can cause death or serious injury.

I do not see a problem with what you have already written.

Let me know if I can assist with this further.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim