Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am appalled that the BBC is removing its Red Button text

Hi. I am appalled that the BBC is removing its Red Button text service.I am in my late 60's and depend on this service for news headlines, various sports results, local items and other things. For those of us who are not in the position to keep online at the same time, do not have broadband or are not computer literate, it means that we will be treated as second-class members of the public. I am a licence fee payer and as such am one of the employers of the BBC, yet an arbitrary decision to deprive us of this service seems to be perfectly right in their view.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi. I am in my late 60's and a licence fee payer, therefore one of the employers of the BBC. They have made an arbitrary decision to remove the Red Button text service from my TV, which requires a licence. I was not asked my opinion on this matter (I would have rejected it). This is a Public Broadcasting Service, so why have I and many friends now have to get computers, broadband, iPhones or other devices in order to receive what I am paying for?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written to BBC complaints, but r
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: t

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Yes, the Director General should be sent to prison for allowing matters such as this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can an injunction be placed on the BBC to stop this decision?

I am just in Court. I will call shortly when I get out.

Will show as withheld.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Don't phone, I will continue to type my questions and save £44!

Ok. Yes you can get an injunction.

You would need to complete forms N1:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

And N16a:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n16a-application-for-injunction-general-form

The court will set down for hearing and decide whether to grant an injunction

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have many friends who are also appalled at the decision. Why can an employee do something without consultation with his/her boss?

An employee, you would need to post a question in employment law for that.

But you are not an employee/employer of the BBC unless you work for them

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We all pay licence fees, yet many are not online, do not have broadband and are not able to understand all the new technology, yet they are disregarded as being unworthy of receiving the same treatment.

You are not the employer of the BBC or an employee of it.

You are a customer. But yes, you should get an injunction.

Show them you are not a person to be messed with and that you are sticking up for all licence fee payers.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How do the BBC provide their services? Through the Licence Fee, so how am I and millions of others not an employer?

You are NOT an employer.

You do not employ them. You pay a fee for them to provide a service

You do not control who they hire, fire, what they put on TV