How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14282
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

If I am representing myself on my divorce what do i need to

This answer was rated:

If I am representing myself on my divorce what do i need to do if the other side have said to m that they want to exchange Questionnaire, chrnology, statement of issues and form G? I have the first three documents ready. What do i need to do re Form G? Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I had a lawyer acting for me but I have recently disenagaged him. The FDA has been listed in the Court for 17 January 2020.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: It is Uxbridge Family Court in Middlesex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the Questionnaire, Chronology and Statement of issues drafted by teh lawyers before I disengaged them. Do I need a barrister if the matter goes to Court on 17 January?

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

what are the problems you have with these documents please?

F E Smith and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The question I have is above
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am confused. Are you going to be calling me?

so you wish a call or carry on online? if you wish for call please reply to this and i will know you are waiting

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am waiting for your call
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am still waiting for a call
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have been waiting for more than 30mins for a call. How long am I meant to wait for a call? Your response says ".. The Solicitor has confirmed your phone call request and will call you in a few minutes"

Form G is to tell the court whether the parties are ready to go on to the next stage in the court case.

It's a form to be completed by both parties to a divorce in a court case started by an application (by either of them) to court, asking the court to decide how the assets of the marriage should be divided between them.

When the application is made to court, the court sets out a timetable for what the parties must do before before the first hearing (which is called the first appointment). The 1st hearing is set abut 3 months from the date the court receives the application.

Within that 3 months, the parties must each by set dates, file their financial statement in Form E, prepare a chronology of key events, a statement of issues, a questionnaire of the other party, and replies to the questionnaire they have received.

The court sends out to each party a Form G with the timetable and notice of the first appointment, to ask each party if they are ready to proceed to a Financial Dipute Resolution (the FDR) at the first hearing, and if not, why not.

The FDR can only go ahead if both parties have all the documents and financial information that the court has set out in the court timetable, or if the parties are prepared to waive their right to that information and those documents.


So - reasons that someone might put on their Form G as not being ready to proceed to FDR could be - not received the other parties' Form E, or not received answers to their questionnaire etc.

At the first appointment, if both parties are ready, the hearing can go ahead as an FDR. If the parties are not ready, then the district judge will give directions eg the respondent's Form E must be filed within 14 days, and will set a date for the FDR to take place eg in 28 days.

At the FDR, if an agreement is not reached, the case will be listed for a fully contested final hearing.