Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Assistant: How can I help? I have a question, but I just

Good Afternoon
Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question, but I just want it answered by a UK lawyer, is that OK?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Ashford, UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked lawyer Jo. C , not sure if she from UK. I just need a second opinion and advice. Please
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how very serious it is to be caught using someone else 's train ticket on a tampered photocard ID which is mine. The train ticket belongs to my wife. I have yet to be called up but am getting worried sick!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. Shall wait to hear from the expert.

Hello my name is Ross and I may be able to help. Can you give me a full description of the issues please. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you Ross
I got caught using my wife's train ticket last Saturday and I was using my old photocard. But I tampered my photocard with an train ticket ID of my wife. This is sheer stupidity as the train ticket is hers and the photocard ID is mine.
The lady took them away and I ended up paying more and a full price as well.
Now I am real deep trouble and dragging in my poor wife as well.
I wish to seek advice what is the best next thing to do now.
Is this a very serious offence?
I am feeling sorry for my wife and feeling stupid as well.

Thank you for looking.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not a "very" serious offence, but is classed as fraud. If the matter is pursued then you would likely face a fine. However, what I would do is take a pro-active approach. I would send a letter to whomever confiscated the card and explain the circumstances behind your action including an apology. However, if this has been passed on to the CPS (prosecution) they will make a decision as to whether they feel it is in the public interest to prosecute the matter. This means that you would want to look at hiring a solicitor to defend you action. I wouldn't worry about any custody sentence for this type of issue. However, if you receive any information from the CPS then you will want to take further advice at that point. If a substantial amount of time goes by an you have not heard anything then it may be the case that you will not. Additionally, if you have taken your wife's card then it is unlikely that she will face any action for this.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your kind response.
If you suggest writing an apology, to whom shall I address it to. The lady that morning didn't leave any notes at all. What she said was, 'my wife will need to collect the ticket from the train office in Dover, and my photocard ID is going to the fraud office.
What really gets me very worried if my professional board gets informed of this crime and I cannot imagine what would happen next.
Will this ever happen if I get summoned to court? What happen if I admit guilty?

I would just find your local station manager at the main train station. In terms of your employers, I wouldn't worry about this at the moment just because someone commits a crime, this cannot necessarily legally have an impact one their employment, however this is a much larger question in a separate area.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your kind advice. Hope you have a blessed Christmas