Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Can my Rotary Club have an upper age limit on its members?

JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, just plans...our Rotary In Britain & Ireland are not likely to be supportive but my Club has a habit of doing its own thing!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter. This really boils down to why they would look to impose an upper age limit. If they were to impose and upper age limit due to (for example) insurance liability or any other specific reasons then they may be allowed to do this. However, if they impose this due to the fact they don't want "older people" in the rotary then this could legally be seen as discriminatory in ratio to the Equality Act 2010. This would ultimately depend on several issues. Firstly, if they expressly state that there is a limit, then you would have to ask for a court to make a ruling if this is discriminatory or not. However, if this is just "common practice" then it becomes a lot more difficult to show that they are imposing this rule as it is not expressly stated. Finally, it will depend on the status of your rotary club. If it is a private club then it is unlikely this would be legally discriminatory as private members clubs have more protection than public ones (this is why golf courses can have "no women" rules). I appreciate that there is a lot to consider here.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross