UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a few questions regarding the registration of my baby

Hi there, I have a few questions regarding the registration of my baby as a British citizen. Is that something you can help with?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am British born outside the UK and my baby was born in Belgium. I have not filled in the paperwork as it is rather confusing. Therefore needed some extra help
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I do not know who to turn to as I am currently abroad.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of anything else other than help with filling in the form and paying the fees to the government

Please ask your questions.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I understand that as a British citizen by descent I need to apply for my baby's British citizenship?

Usually, if you are a British Citizen by descent, any child born to you outside the UK is not a British Citizen at birth.

Did you live in the UK before your child was born, if so, how long, and where were your parents born?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I understand. I moved to the UK in 2004 and have lived there since. About a year and a half ago I decided to work from home and spend more time traveling. The fact that my partner lives in Belgium gave me the opportunity to stay abroad for longer. My baby was born here this September. The thing is that I am considering staying here as have a full time job opportunity. However, would like to get my son's papers sorted as we may as well be going to live in the UK as a family in the future
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My parents were born in Bulgaria

How did you qualify for British Citizenship by descent?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I lived in the UK long enough :) Trough naturalisation in 2015
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is my baby then stateless or Bulgarian? What nationality is he now?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also what does it mean that I must have lived in the UK for at least 3 years at ANY TIME before the child's birth ? Anytime between 2004 and now?

Good news.

If you became British by naturalisation, then you are British otherwise than by descent and your child is automatically British by descent.

You simply need to apply for a British Passport for the child.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But the baby was born abroad? I am getting confused, sorry for being a pain.

Yes, the child is British by descent.

Please go ahead and apply for a British Passport for the child.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great thank you and have a lovely evening
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will rate 5 stars pls send me the link :)

Please click on the stars at the top of the page.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would I need to provide my British certificate when applying for my child's passport
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also when applying online, do I have the option to get his documentation sent abroad?

Please follow this link for all details: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I will apply as advised

You are welcome.