How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77651
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How can I make a comp, how can I make a complaint about the

This answer was rated:

How can I make a comp
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: how can I make a complaint about the treatment of a prisoner?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband is serving life and has not had a visit since 2016. He is in Nottingham, we live in Kent. He was moved to London prison for AV visits but did not get any and has been transferred back to Nottingham.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

are you asking who to contact?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to know what steps and where to write to initially.

Ok but what do you want to complain about?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When Mark was moved to Thameside for AV visits we initially called to make a visit but were told that Mark had to do it himself. However we have been informed that he did not get a phone call, we transferred him some money but they did not allocate it to him. We did not get any visits and he was moved back to Lowdham. Thameside did not give him back his shaver or toothbrush when he went back. (He has had a stroke and has difficulty shaving and brushing his teeth so had electric ones-not cheap). The treatment has been atrocious. We have had no communication since 2016 and get updates from his carer in Lowdham.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can’t afford phone call, sorry

There is a complaints system. You can complain here

Some of your points are better than others but you do have the basis of a claim.

Can I clarify anything for you ?


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Does this also apply to prisons run by Serco? Also do I need to complain to the prison first?

Yes, and yes you should really although that is usually a technicality.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you