Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a home educated 16 year old who does not finish the

I have a home educated 16 year old who does not finish the academic school year until June 2020. Are there any legal restrictions on her doing voluntary work until then as she will then be accepted on there apprenticeship course.It would be at a stables
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken with the local education body
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to clarify this as I don’t want anyone to be in the wrong side of the law

Hi thank you for your message, a child under the school leaving age may only be employed to do 'light work'. This is: "work which on account of the inherent nature of the tasks which it involves and the particular conditions under which they are performed is not likely to be harmful to the health, safety or development of children and is not such as to be harmful to their attendance at school or to their participation in work experience, or their capacity to benefit from the instruction received or the experience gained". In most areas, "light work" is understood to mean agricultural or horticultural work, delivery of newspapers etc, shop work, hairdressing salons, in a cafe or restaurant, in riding stables and domestic work in hotels. Therefore, in this case working at the stables would be considered light work that is acceptable. The national legislation contains model bylaws which may or may not be adopted by your local authority because the model by-laws requires employers of children of school age to obtain a permit. In addition, the maximum hours is 4 hours a day, up to 20 hours a week. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.