F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Probate, England, We have letters of administration but the

probate
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We have letters of administration but the solicitor is now taking a huge amount of time to get any further work done
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
As we have the letters of administration can we contact banks, insurance- the solicitor was only helping and is not an executor - all taxes have been paid. They have behaved so badly we want to start taking this on ourselves and have the information - we can leave the solicitor to get on with the fiddly little shares etc

You will normally find that the solicitor will either want to deal with everything or nothing at all.

If you already have Letters of the Administration, then to be honest, the paper crunching of getting the assets valuations in and so on, is normally carried out by of lowly legal secretary because it isn’t rocket science.

By all means speak to the solicitor about it but don’t be at all surprised if he says that it’s all or nothing.

You can of course make a complaint about the speed of this and if necessary refer the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response, I have been trying to speak with the Solicitor. They have said that they need the money paid into their account to avoid any claims being made against the estate. This I am aware of but as we have done a through a genealogist it is unlikely. I do not think she has put an advert in the gazette which is the notice required I believe? Claims can be made for 6 months after - but should money be left undistributed until then? If I do just go and close the accounts is there a real risk? I think I'm just going to push for me taking over the admin I did it for my mothers its slow work but not brain surgery