How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16617
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I bought a house 10 months ago and due to circumstances

This answer was rated:

I bought a house 10 months ago and due to circumstances changing I have had to sell it again. I was asked to produce a gas safety certificate for my hob and was told by a registered engineer that it doesn’t meet regulations-I have not altered my kitchen in any way since I bought the house. I have been told it will cost up to £1000 to rectify the problem. My solicitor obviously didn’t do this when I was buying but I feel that it should have been done as standard. Do I have any rights seeing they have been negligent and not done their job properly?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i only found this all out today
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Northern Ireland
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I asked my solicitor to make sure the gas was ok before I bought the house but they clearly did not do that

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

If your Solicitor had picked it up, I assume you would have purchased anyway?
Did you instruct your Solicitor to check this, or just do the transfer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I asked my solicitor to check the gas. If this had been flagged up I would have ensured it was properly sorted before buying the house-at the expense of the people selling who obviously didn’t get it installed properly. I certainly would not have purchased something that doesn’t meet gas safety regulations as I have two very young children in the house

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation from the Solicitor within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

I dont think you could claim more than £100,000 or so in damages.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just on the train. I will be at a fixed point shortly,

Is it ok to call you then?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just realised it costs £44 for a phone call. I would prefer not to do that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not in a rush for advice but need to know if I have any come back for having someone who is meant to be ensuring everything is fine with a house purchase, not doing their job properly


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, so do I have to do the work first to get a bill and then request or can I request the amount I have been quoted for the work?

You can issue now if you wish