Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I would like to ask your advice on whether it is worth

I would like to ask your advice on whether it is worth disputing a fine for dumping household rubbish next to a public waste bin in a lay-by. There were reasons for this, and i can email the letter that was written to Dorset waste management explaining the situation, but a fine was received today asking for payment by Friday 6-11-19
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No one has talked to a lawyer about this, the culprit is Polish but works in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I sent a letter to Dorset waste explaneing the reasons why this was done, but have not taken any other steps
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The fine is for £200

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Do you accept you put the waste there?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes

What were your reasons?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I cannot talk to you on the phone this evening as I left it at work
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ref. JG / 108/Dziwinski Dorset Waste Partnership
Princes House
Princes Street
Dorchester DT1 1TP

Dear madam/Sir,
I am writing on behalf of Arkadiusz Dziwinski who is Polish and does not speak or write too well in English.
At the time [ 27th October ], Arkadiusz was not aware that it is illegal to dump rubbish next to a waste bin in a layby, however there was a valid reason why he did this.
While living at The Nook, Melbury Osmond, he was responsible for putting out the rubbish once a week for collection on a Thursday. This he did on several occasions, however on returning home in the evenings he found that the rubbish had not been collected and the plastic sacks were torn open by dogs or cats and the rubbish was littered over the road. This led to complaints by nabours, so he collected it up and kept it in his yard.
He asked his work farm manager on Evershot Farms, several times if he could put the rubbish in the farm skip for general waste, but he was told he couldn’t. The manager told him that he would sort out the problem, but nothing happened.
As Arkadiusz was leaving his employment at Evershot Estates on the 27th October he did not know what to do with the rubbish he had collected, so he thought that a responsible to do was to put it somewhere next to a public bin in a nearby layby.
As you can see, there was no intent just to dump rubbish “on someone else’s doorstep” as he had tried to get rid of it by reporting it to his farm manager, and I hope that on this occasion, you will not take any further action.

Yours sincerely,
Simon Throw / c/o Arkadiusz Dziwinski.

Did the Council reply?
Why didnt he just take it to the tip?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The council did not reply, but issued a fixed fine of £200
Being polish and not speaking or knowing english law too well he just put it next to the nearest litter bin near Melbury Osmond, Dorset, thinking that this was a responsible thing to do. I don't think he knew there was a tip where he could take it

Ok, well sadly I am sure he could have looked it up online.

Google translate can translate websites.

What he has is mitigation, not a defence.

Did he dispose of it - yes

Is that an offence - yes

Are there good reasons - maybe.

As such its mitigation for the ticket and not a defence.

If its not paid it will go to Court and he will get a criminal record.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your answers, it was done without thinking of other options other than talking to his farm manager