Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am 88 years of age, and am deaf, and I cannot climb

I am 88 years of age, and am deaf, and I cannot climb stairs. I was attending a meeting in our city Assembly Room. It was upstairs. I asked if there was a lift. The answer was 'Yes, but it has been out of order for months'.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. It only occured to me after the meeting that they might be breaking the law. I also have difficulty hearing, and there was a microphone but no loop.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I haven't a clue. It was our local town hall/ .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi thank you for your message, in essence businesses and public bodies have to make reasonable adjustments for those with disabilities. Reasonable however, does not mean that for example the lift has to be fixed immediately but steps should be taken to ensure it is not left unfixed unreasonably. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.