12826847

My son is being harassed by an ex girlfriend is it possible

Hi my son is being harassed by an ex girlfriend is it possible to get a letter about harassment sent to her?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dorset uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none I’ve ignored the message she sent me but is now sending messages to his other friends
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are really serious untrue allegations she’s harassing him with she’s very mental unstable

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Great thanks

Are you sure you want a phone call? You really don't need one.

It will increase costs.

I can call in about 20 mins if you would like but it does increase costs?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No don’t necessarily need a call

Ok, what is she alleging and to whom?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She’s alleging that he raped which is totally untrue she has massive mental health issues

Yes, men need to avoid victims. They always turn on them. But to whom is she saying this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
To his new girlfriend

to anybody else at all?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes to me and couple of his friends

Thanks for the information

You do have the option to sue in defamation. This very definitely is defamation. The problem with that is that you have to prove that it was false as opposed to just an allegation that was disbelieved. That is hard to do as you will have the burden of proof. Also, this is a very expensive action and if the accuser has no money there is no recompense. You would still get an injunction though.

You could also sue in harassment if there is more than one allegation. There is a fairly settled law now that making false or trivial allegations can be harassment. That does still cost but it is much cheaper.

Or you could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of harassment and defamation and making clear she should desist. That would only cost about £100 plus VAT.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok that’s great will talk to him thanks for your help

Tell him to avoid women with stories of their victimhood. If he wants to be a saviour then go and rescue a dog or something that won't make allegations of human trafficking when you won't give it a treat.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will tell him
That thanks

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/