F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I a man booked to go on a cruise as a holiday of a lifetime

I a man booked to go on a cruise as a holiday of a lifetime with my son who has muscular dystrophy and uses a wheelchair full time. He is brilliant but physically weak and cannot turn over in bed independently. At home he has a clever electric bed which enables him to manage movement by pressing a remote control.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Leters to Cunard twice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have mentioned disability equality legislation. They say on

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

are you asking if Cunard have to accomodate his needs?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I am quite able at communicate with companies over issues like this and could forward previous correspondence?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes.....do Cunard have to accommodate my son's bed? Or can they rely on maritime rules to avoid?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you in the U.K.?

Anyone providing a service like this has to make “reasonable adjustments” to cater for people with a disability.

It comes down to whether what you are asking for is a reasonable adjustment.

If you are asking them to provide a bed, then I don’t think it is.

If you are asking them to allow your sons only bed, then it isn’t as unreasonable as asking them to provide a bed but I still think it goes over and above what could reasonably be expected.

If there is a maritime rule which covers this then the maritime rule overrides everything else. I have experience of this.

Sometimes, “reasonable adjustments” are impossible. For example, it would be impossible to alter the workplace to make a building site suitable for anyone in a wheelchair who wanted to be a bricklayer.

Quite a few other things override the Equality Act and “listed buildings” is one of them. If the front entrance is listed, then you cannot put in a wheelchair ramp. I about that because the front entrance to our previous office was in exactly that situation. Our rear office door was not listed but was up 10 steps and putting a ramp in was simply not physically possible.

I fully appreciate that this is the answer you wanted.

Of course, you could always take the matter to court for breach of the Equality Act but it’s not something that I would be hanging my hat on with any hope of being successful. Sorry.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES