JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I'm a Turkish citizen living in. I've been dealing with a

Hello!
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My name is***** and I'm a Turkish citizen living in Dublin. I've been dealing with a stressful situation lately, and I'm reaching out to you to see if you can help me.A few months ago I've enrolled in a Coding Course at the Code Institute, which is not a College but instead a "Bootcamp" that gives a diploma credit at the end of the course. Even though the course is available to EU citizens through Springboard for free, since I'm Turkish I had to pay 6000 euros to attend it, having chosen a payment plan - 375 euros over the course of 16 months.Once enrolled, I realized that the course was far from what was advertised - the materials are outdated, their monitoring and follow-up leave a lot to be desired (which is extremely important, since it's an online course and we don't have the chance to interact with a professor or instructor in person), the instructors skip crucial information during the available videos, and I often need to resort to another sources to complete the exercises, to fill in the gaps left open by the materials provided.I sent them an email trying to ask the policy for cancelation, specially since due to unforeseeable circumstances I had to go to Turkey to get a surgery which delayed my initial schedule in more than one month; but they were evasive and just claimed I couldn't cancel it, stating that I had to continue making the monthly payments - to this day they still continue to take out 375 euros per month out of my bank account.Taking this all into consideration, I feel it's not fair what they're doing. I'm not looking for a refund of what I I already paid, I just want to cancel my application, so I don't have to pay such a heavy sum each month for a program that I consider was falsely advertised. I consider the situation even more discriminatory, because if I was a EU national and applied to this course through Springboard, I could just cancel it without paying anything at all.So I'm seeking your help, to see if there is anything it could be done that could help me quit the program.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My name is***** and I'm a Turkish citizen living in Dublin. I've been dealing with a stressful situation lately, and I'm reaching out to you to see if you can help me.A few months ago I've enrolled in a Coding Course at the Code Institute, which is not a College but instead a "Bootcamp" that gives a diploma credit at the end of the course. Even though the course is available to EU citizens through Springboard for free, since I'm Turkish I had to pay 6000 euros to attend it, having chosen a payment plan - 375 euros over the course of 16 months.Once enrolled, I realized that the course was far from what was advertised - the materials are outdated, their monitoring and follow-up leave a lot to be desired (which is extremely important, since it's an online course and we don't have the chance to interact with a professor or instructor in person), the instructors skip crucial information during the available videos, and I often need to resort to another sources to complete the exercises, to fill in the gaps left open by the materials provided.I sent them an email trying to ask the policy for cancelation, specially since due to unforeseeable circumstances I had to go to Turkey to get a surgery which delayed my initial schedule in more than one month; but they were evasive and just claimed I couldn't cancel it, stating that I had to continue making the monthly payments - to this day they still continue to take out 375 euros per month out of my bank account.Taking this all into consideration, I feel it's not fair what they're doing. I'm not looking for a refund of what I I already paid, I just want to cancel my application, so I don't have to pay such a heavy sum each month for a program that I consider was falsely advertised. I consider the situation even more discriminatory, because if I was a EU national and applied to this course through Springboard, I could just cancel it without paying anything at all.So I'm seeking your help, to see if there is anything it could be done that could help me quit the program. and current update is; they only ask let me to postpone the course, not quite this is not college or master programme, i was taking class through online channels.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it for now

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Are you living in Ireland now and how much have you paid so far for the course?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Jim. I do live in Ireland. 2.250 EURO i have already paid
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Total payment is 6000 euro
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is there any way out from this situation, I really think this approach is not that fair.

Thanks, the small claims limit in Ireland is only 2,000 euro.

As your losses are higher than this then I recommend you use a law firm to pursue the court provider under breach of contract (misrepresentation). From your description it sounds like you do have a case to pursue a claim against the court provider for misrepresentation.

Would you like a recommendation for a law firm? I have one firm in mind who operates in the centre of Dublin (and are also based in Carlow).

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do not mind to lose the amount I have already paid, but I do not want to move forward and pay the rest of fee which is 3 750 euro. Currently, I am not able to complete the course as I do not find efficient and related with my workload and I feel frustrated every time I try to move forward. I would like to hear your recommendation, but could you please explain how will I describe my case under misrepresentation. Cause Code ins. already sent me terms and conditions and clearly stated that I can not cancel my programme and I HAVE to pay it. Thank you in advance.

Your rights have been breached under The Consumer Protection Act 2007 in that the defendant made a misleading advertisement. As a result of the fact you were misled, you have a right to compensation under Section 45 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

You should write to the course provider and tell them this - that you also demand they take no further money from you, and that if they do you will sue them in the district court. If they still refuse then you need to speak to the Consumer Protection Commission who can be contacted on (01) 402 5555 or 01 402 5500.

You can also report them to the advertising standards authority on 01 613 7040.

If you want a law firm to act for you in this then Malcomson Law is recommended - (01) 874 4422

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Jim! I will have one more question. How will i prove the misleading advertisement cause it was our observation as 3 people who started together. They have already quit but i couldnt cause i was paying a course fee.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes, I will rate it straight away. You were really helpful