JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Need advice about pet insurance and my vets, Dronfield

Need advice about pet insurance and my vets
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dronfield N.E.Derbyshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoke to insurance now being hassled by the vets
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know who is liable to the cost of the treatment my dog has received

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Is your insurer disputing the claim for the vet bill for some reason?

Hi, I just saw your further question. So the vets didn't tell the insurers and the insurers now refuse to cover? But you also say the insurers do not cover for the type of treatment your dog was at the vet's for?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes that is right

Thanks, the main issue is the insurer not covering this treatment - the list of conditions would be stated in the terms of the policy. Are you saying the insurer misled you or just a complaint that they do not cover the stem cell treatment (which is not covered under the policy)?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The insurance say it's in the small print that the dog is not covered which I do accept but my issue is the vets did not say what the treatment was if they did the insurance would have said no we were away on holiday at the time. The vets just asked how much cover he had left fof the year and said it was a continuation of his treatment.

So you are saying because the vets didn't tell the insurers, you would have said no to the treatment? And so the vets have now gone ahead with the treatment leaving you out of pocket?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes that is what it appears to be.(I would have had the treatment done but I would have to save up for it )

OK, so the vet should not have done this - you can say that they breached the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in failing to carry out their service with reasonable care and skill, which has now led to your loss.

You should tell them that they simply went ahead whilst you were abroad and given you were not covered by the insurers, they should have checked with you first - the fact they didn't should mean you do not have to pay them.

You can threaten to report them to Trading Standards if they persist and try to pursue you for the bill (tel: 03454 040506 - Trading Standards' number).

If they sue in the small claims court then you can defend the claim made against you. No lawyer would be required assuming it would be a small claim (up to £10,000 in value) and you can come back to this site for ongoing help if required.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your help we will see how we go on on thursday when we meet the vets.

No problem, I hope it resolves itself - if not then feel free to come back here.

In the meantime if you could either leave a rating and click “submit”, or confirm that I have answered your question for you, I would be very grateful.

Have a good day,

Jim