plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have been on to you this morning about paper work relating

Hello Pearl. I have been on to you this morning about paper work relating to my Great grand children. Can we now go to Jo C. Gill***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lincolnshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked about legal documents we have kept for our Grandson and his ex partner. We have held these for some years but are now relocating to a smaller property. We understand that our Grandson and his partner are no longer together but do not know how to contact them.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We wish to know if we can destroy these documents. Much of it relates to court proceeding regarding taking their children into care.

Hello, my name is Peter, I'm a barrister and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

How long ago was this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Peter. This problem is currently facing us . Gillian
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As I am only asking if I can legally destroy these documents, I feel that a yes/no answer by email should suffice.

Of course - I'm asking how long ago the documents came into your possession and therefore how old the children are now?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Peter. We have had all paperwork for at least two and a half to three years. Chelsea is now over 11 years and Blake is 6 years old.

My suggestion in this case, as the children are most likely under the care of the local authority, is to return the papers to Lincoln county council (assuming this is the local authority that instigated the proceedings).

They can then file them or destroy them if needs be.

I hope this assists.

Is there anything further that I can clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If, when sorting through this paperwork, we find unrelated documentation, eg personal letters, photographs etc are we ok to destroy. We have tried to contact our Grandson but he is deliberately ignoriignoringe to owing us a great deal of money.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry ignoring us

Of course. Yes you can destroy other documents, I would suggest destroying photographs would be a little unfair, as they might not take much room to store and cannot be replaced. But all council paperwork should be returned there.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Peter for your help. I would never destroy photographs of our precious great grand children. Gillian

My pleasure and best wishes.