JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

During the election period, Can i legally mount a speaker to

During the election period, Can i legally mount a speaker to a car (or hired bus) to deliver election messages? (whether it's a good tactic is another matter!)
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, Bradford, Hull
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am considering doing this - and have taken no steps at all
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work with a single issue campaigning group - not a political party. The speakers would be mounted on a bus being hired and the bus has a PSV licence

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

Using a speaker on your car or use of a loud hailer is not illegal per se. If it was very loud then potentially you could breach noise ordinances which could result in attention from the Police. People do use megaphones from their cars during election campaigns - you should be fine and so long as it is not really loud then there is little risk of you attracting the attention of the Police. And you should not do this near, for example, the Houses of Parliament. Similarly you cannot use language which is intended to cause offence or distress to the public - to do will be a public order offence.

I do not see a problem but if you are still concerned then contact your local council and also the Police on the 101 number.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well, the Houses of Parliament are not in Yorkshire unfortunately.

Thanks, I did say *for example".

please let me know if any of what I have said requires clarification. I am happy to help. In the meantime if you could either leave a rating and click “submit”, or confirm that I have answered your question for you, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
yes - i was joking! Self evidently it would be better if the H of P was in Gods own country - thanks for your help