12826847

I was interviewed by Doncaster Police yesterday regarding an

Hi, I was interviewed by Doncaster Police yesterday regarding an incident involving a dog I got from a local dog rehoming Centre. Sadly there my dog jumped out of the car and attacked another dog resulting in the other dog being put to sleep and me making the decision to put my dog to sleep. This has been ongoing with the Police since September 2019. They are now quoting the restorative justice act. I did everything responsible and shared my details at the scene and visited the police station to report the incident and they stated no offence made and it was a dog on dog attack. Since then the owner of the other dog is wanting vet bills paid for and the amount she paid for her pegigree dog. Equating to £2000. I do not have this money to hand, how can I manage this to avoid a criminal charge?
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: No charge made no court date
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: In a public park - car park
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

for background what breed is your dog please

How can I help?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He was a mixed terrier, not classed as a dangerous dog
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No, I have paid the £5 fee why do I need to pay a further amount?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can get free legal advice from a local criminal lawyer but wanted to pursue this avenue first
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Any response please?

Ok, so what is your question? Are you asking if you have a defence?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes, if I cannot find the funds to pay what she is asking can they charge me?

Generally speaking if you don't comply with the requirements of restorative justice then you risk a charge. That is not guaranteed obviously but it is a risk.

On the fact that you are presenting the only charge they could bring against you is that of the non aggravated offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act and then she would have needed to fear reasonably for her safe day.

However, if you don't have £2000 then there is no alternative but to refuse or try to negotiate.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I accept I was responsible for the dog, even though I didn't foresee or expect the incident to ocur, my worries are if I cannot agree with an amicable payment plan, will I be charged for this?

Like I said, yes, you could be. it is a risk.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But if I cannot get the funds but accept I need to pay, but only as a prepayment plan....?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am a single mum that works part time for the NHS
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am not refusing to pay but I do not have to pay outright

Yes, I have the point.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry just really stressed about a possible charge if a payment arrangement cannot be agreed

Yes, I understand. It is a risk I'm afraid. I would imagine they would agree to that though as they will want the money.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Exactly I can either refuse to pay due not having money available outright, and accept the charge

Yes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How long would it be on my criminal record? Life?

Until your 100th birthday although it would only show on DBS checks for a limited length of time depending on the sentence and the level of checking. Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
DBS?

.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Could you advise what DBS is

Disclosure and barring service.

What is visible to anybody other than the police or courts.