LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I have received several letters from CLI an international

I have received several letters from CLI an international debt collector for a parking fine from Italy from over 4 years ago. I have ignored it so far but should I be concerned?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I will be helping you today.

Firstly, it is important to note that debt collectors do not have any special legal powers to collect a debt. A debt collector simply works on behalf of a creditor. All they can do is simply ask you to pay the debt.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

There is no need to be concerned as you should receive a formal Letter Before Action should the parking company look to issue a claim.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok .Good to know. It seems unlikely that Italian police would prosecute for a parking fine which by the way arrived years later ?

Yes, it is unlikely and these types of matters are common. You may wish to engage in communication and try and obtain as much information as possible about this.

Is there anything in particular you would like for me to clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
From the debt collecting company ?

Yes, I would suggest that you ask for particulars.

Alternatively, you could simply ignore them and wait for any further movement. However, this in most cases is unlikely.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok - ie evidence the parking fine ?

Yes exactly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They don’t even have a dat