Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I need help with a tenant, in te UK UK, its a commercial

I need help with a tenant
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in te UK UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: its a commercial property i gave a tenant a license
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to terminate the license.

What is it exactly that you want to know about this? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I have a tenant in a commercial property who has a license. She is not paying the rent. There is a clause in contract which states that we can terminate the agreement immediately if she doesn't pay her rent. How can i enforce this? Do i need a court order?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
The clause says if she owes for more than 2 weeks, she is owing for over 4 weeks
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
waiting for a response

Excellent. If there is agreement that you can terminate if she doesn’t pay her rent, you can actually foreclose on the agreement by peaceably entering the property (letting yourself in) and locking her out although what you can do with her belongings is extremely limited.

Assuming you foreclose on the lease/licence, it comes to an end and it cannot start up again if she pays up to date. If you does, it has to be a brand-new agreement.

Once you foreclose on the lease, you immediately become responsible for the business rates so unless you have another tenant ready to go in, that may be a consideration.

Incidentally, without this clause in the contract (which is in any properly drafted lease or licence) you would be faced with going to. So, well done. Incidentally, the rent does not have to be demanded. Just the fact that it’s overdue by the. Specified in the licence sufficient.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

I have accepted your telephone call request but was unable to reach you.

Kindly give me a call at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Still waiting for a call