INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I had a loan through my local council for home improvements

I had a loan through my local council for home improvements in 2011 , the builder who was contracted did not fit the windows and door properly resulting in water leaking in the corners damaging plasterwork internally over time after heavy rain , The council that signed the work off stated if I had any issues I would have to take it up with the builder. The builder has been called back year on year when it was convenient for him over the last eight years , has hacked off render each time re rendered time after time to no avail. I had to save up to have my home plastered initially inside after the windows were first fitted then again for interior painting , this was how I first noticed the watermark staining . It was suggested by the builder that if I were to get the exterior of the house painted it would act as a membrane , yet again over time I got this done by a professional painter and the problem still exists . What can I do to resolve this .
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I sent a recorded delivery letter to the builder who apparently had to ask advice from another builder, this time he hacked off more render and added more silicone and some foam which made a slight difference but still did not solve the problem , having no faith left I did not want him to wreak my property further . I enlisted a structural engineering company to do a report, again at cost to myself ,the report clearly uncovered problems ! where do I go from here ?
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Enderby in Leicestershire .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a disabled lady 63 years old on ESA and PIP middle rate .

Thank you for your query. Have you had a surveyor look at the area?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes I have had a structural survey .

Armed with the survey, I would suggest that you go back to the contractor and demand that they rectify the defect within 28 days failing which, you wil instruct an independent contractor to carry out the work and invoice you for the same.

If at the end of the 28 days, the work has not been completed to your satisfaction, you will have to have the work carried out and pay any invoice. You should then send a copy of the invoice to the contractor demanding that you are reimbursed within 14 days failing which you will issue legal proceedings without further notice.

If at the end of the 14 days, you have not been reimbursed, you will have to issue your claim. You will be able to do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have no faith in the incompetant contractor to rectify the problem after many failed attemps resulting in yet more damage to my home !

If that is the case, I suggest you get someone new and follow the steps as outlined above.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
By someone new do you mean a professional window and door fitter , if so i cannot afford to have this done prior to being compensated first .

If that is the case,

I would suggest that you write the contractor a letter demanding a sum to be paid to you within 14 days. If at the end of the 14 days youbhave not received the sum, you will have to issue your claim online.

I hope this answers your questions. if so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thankyou for your advice many thanks .

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.