INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

1 year ago me and my business partner made a verbal

1 year ago me and my business partner made a verbal agreement about our mutual property’s rental income.
Our agreement was, he receives 100% profits from rental income for 2 years to cover the refurbishment expenses that he has solely paid for.
If in the 2-year period the rental income is more than the refurbishment money he spent, this is his profit also; and I view this as a kind of interest payment from me to him because he helped me out at a time I had no money....
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Luton, uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have professionally drafted the above verbal agreement as a written agreement.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This document was created in hindsight in order to keep a clear proof of profit allocation

What were the terms of your arrangement?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
If in the 2-year period the rental income is more than the refurbishment money he spent, this is his profit also; and I view this as a kind of interest payment from me to him because he helped me out at a time I had no money.

We have professionally drafted the above verbal agreement as a written agreement. This document was created in hindsight in order to keep a clear proof of profit allocation and for the purposes of tax due individually.

This is my question:
Can we backdate and sign this document and legally have it witnessed by a solicitor?
&
How far back can you backdate and sign a document and get it witnessed by a solicitor? Is there a legal limit?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The issue is tax burden.
Although things are good with my business partner and me now, I still want a legal document clearly showing that the tax burden for profits is his, not mine for that backdated period.

Therefore can we:
(1) simply backdate a document and sign it
OR
(2) do we sign the current date and simply mention in the actual document itself that these terms took effect from a previous time?

Sorry for the delay I getting back to you.

You can prepare and date an agreement, but it cannot be backdated. What you can do is have a commencement date in the agreement and this could be before the date the agreement was signed.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for that answer, for which I will make sure to leave a positive feedback for you; but just one more related question. The “Commencement Date” can it go back any length of time eg 10 years?

It can be whatever the parties agree.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will leave this feedback:
This expert was courteous and gave clear advice, answering further related questions to my full satisfaction.