UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I have just received notice (on 03/12/2019) of a speeding

I have just received notice (on 03/12/2019) of a speeding offence that took place over 12 months ago; 15/08/2018, where I was apparently caught doing 82kmh in a 70 limit. Do I have to pay this or can I return as overdue as it is significantly passed the 14 day notice period
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: This was in Italy near Venice.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: not currently, it is just a notice of a fine, but seems unreasonable to issue this 16 months after the offence
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else of relevance, thank you

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

The reason that nobody can help with this is that it is outside of the jurisdiction. You need to seek advertise from an Italian practitioner.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding.

I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly which will be later on today.

Hello, the 14 day notice period is only applicable in the UK. In Italy, they have a year to issue the ticket and 5 years in which to recover the fine. If you do not pay, then the fine increases and they are likely to instruct a debt collection agency to chase you for it and if need be, issue against you in a UK court. The best thing to do, if you accept the offence, is to pay the fine and conclude matters. By not doing so, you do risk the charges escalating.

I hope I have assisted, please provide a positive rating. Kind regards, John.

Please do return to the site if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you John that is helpful, only outstanding question I would have is that you state they have a year to issue the ticket, but in my instance it has taken 16 months. Does that impact my position?

Were you driving a rental vehicle?

UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience: 8 years legal experience