How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6597
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My ex husband is still named on my mortgage and refuses to

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My ex husband is still named on my mortgage and refuses to take his name off. How do i revise my mortgage rate without his consent
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tried to remove his name but informed he has to sign this off. He has not contributed to any payments since we split up 7 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Have you had a financial order and if so was he requested to do this as part of that order?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no and I don't need his assistance with paying the mortgage. My mortgage is available to review and I know I am paying more than i should with my current rate. How do I review and change my rate without his input.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i can't talk today

No that's fine - the call is optional. You would have to have him removed from the mortgage, which can either be done by consent (if he agrees) or you may need to address the point with the courts and have a financial order - it's not an order just about maintenance, it's about severing financial ties between you which is what you need to do here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks

No problem at all. Let me know if there is anything you need me to clarify.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you