plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My ex husband is still named on my mortgage and refuses to

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My ex husband is still named on my mortgage and refuses to take his name off. How do i revise my mortgage rate without his consent
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tried to remove his name but informed he has to sign this off. He has not contributed to any payments since we split up 7 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Have you had a financial order and if so was he requested to do this as part of that order?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no and I don't need his assistance with paying the mortgage. My mortgage is available to review and I know I am paying more than i should with my current rate. How do I review and change my rate without his input.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i can't talk today

No that's fine - the call is optional. You would have to have him removed from the mortgage, which can either be done by consent (if he agrees) or you may need to address the point with the courts and have a financial order - it's not an order just about maintenance, it's about severing financial ties between you which is what you need to do here.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thanks

No problem at all. Let me know if there is anything you need me to clarify.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter