Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

The 21 days notice on the Statutory Demand served to me by

The 21 days notice on the Statutory Demand served to me by HMRC is now up.
HMRC now will now no doubt crack on with the bankruptcy process against me.
I live in Nottingham.
The amount of Tax I owe to the HMRC is £90,000I am very worried about bailiffs turning up at my elderly mothers house (she suffers from severe Angina) to remove goods.
I live in my Mum's house (have done for several years) along with my wife.
My Mum rents the house we all live in from a private housing association.
My sister also lives with us and she suffers from serious mental health issues (she was recently released home from a sectioning under the mental health act).
My 4 year old son and 24 year old son (from a previous marriage) also live with us.I have no car or any valuable goods other than a laptop and PC I use to study with in the house.
We have two or three TV's. I think I paid for them many years ago.
My brother paid for one of them.I have the following 5 x questions about the HMRC bailiffs powers to search my mum's house where I/we live;
1. I'm assuming the bailiffs will want to and have the right to search my bedroom?
2. Will the bailiffs want to and do they have the right to search search my mums bedroom?
3. Will the bailiffs want to and do they have the right to search my sisters and elder sons bedrooms, both of which they keep locked. I do not have access their bedrooms?
4. Will the bailiffs want to and do they have the right to search the front room, lounge, cellar, bathroom & kitchen?
5. Can I prevent the bailiffs from turning up at my mums house in advance?

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Bailiffs wont turn up. Its dealt with by the Official Receiver.

You will have to be interviewed, assets declared and they will make a decision whether or not any of these are to be sold.

But bailiffs wont turn up. The only reason they might is to serve the bankruptcy petition.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Many thanks!
What would define an asset?
I have cash in the bank, no car, no property, no jewellery. Literally I own just my laptop and PC. Will they want these? Do think it likely that after my declaration bailiffs will turn up?

Unlikely.

Bailiffs wont turn up, they just dont.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Brill thanks. I do have one other question; my HSBC credit card is £2500 in the red as is my HSBC joint bank account by £2500. Will HSBC freeze or even close both accounts once they receive my bankruptcy notice? I would like to negotiate a repayment with them as it’s £5,000 which would be manageable with family help.

Yes, they will.

They would give you a basic bank account.

You can't negotiate. Its all included in bankruptcy.

It cant be excluded.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will the basic bank account be in joint names too? It is currently in joint names with me and my wife?

Doesn't matter. You are not entitled to a debit card.

If its joint it will have to be the basis for both. She can open her own account.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My wife has her own account with HSBC. So just to clarify; the new/basic bank account would continue to be in joint names?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
? Hello

Correct.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Many thanks ��

Pleasure.