How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6376
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My mother wishes to move house at the age of 98 unaware of

This answer was rated:

My mother wishes to move house at the age of 98 unaware of the difficulties involved. I have lasting power of attorney - do I have the power to prevent her?
JA: Where is your mother? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Near Ipswich
JA: What steps has your mother taken so far?
Customer: Asked an estate agent to put her bungalow on the market today.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am happy to wait.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Does your mother still retain mental capacity and the capacity to make her own decisions?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
although confused some of the time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No phone call required

OK, no problem. The difficulty is that if she can still exercise capacity, you cannot prevent her by invoking the power of attorney. Is the proposal something that will cause detriment to her or would a move to somewhere else actually be a good thing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not wish for a phone call

It's fine - I won't call. Don't worry.

Did you receive my response above?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If she has mental capacity can I use power of attorney to prevent

As I said above - if she has capacity, you cannot invoke the power of attorney to prevent the move I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The move would be detrimental to her but she seems determined

I'm afraid she is free to make her own decisions, even if you disagree with them.

Can I assist further as far as the law is concerned?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's fine. Thank you.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,


plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6376
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you