Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I instructed a roofing company to repair a leak to my house

I instructed a roofing company to repair a leak to my house roof.the workman came and relaid the tiles on the roof and some small remedial work during which he broke a small roof tile.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I paid the invoice in full and the following week the roof was again leaking worse than before. I called him back to fix it and he came and tried again to repair it but it still leaks. I have tried repeatedly to get him back but he only responds to the threat of a legal kind. i am living in outer London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have repeatedly emailed and messaged him. He will not answer the phone either on his work or mobile number.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have just told him that i have had enough and as the weather is getting worse I cannot keep climbing into the loft to empty buckets of water and the water damage is now entering the house. I have told him that i am going to take him to court.so far no answer. This has been going on since late August 2019.

Welcome to JA.

From the circumstances given it appears the roofer has not provided a services with reasonable care and skill pursuant to the consumers rights act 2015. Therefore given this breach of your consumers rights you are entitled to a number of remedies. Do you understand what I have stated so far if yes I will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He has just sent me a message telling me that "The plan was to come Friday" I have no particular confidence in him but do I have to accept this?

Please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to talk whilst I type out a response

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At this time I want to know whether I should accept this offer or get somebody else in and blow £700

I suggest you consider his offer to repair the damage at NO COSTS TO YOU. Further you can notify him that if the matter is not fixed you will find someone else to fix it and he will have to pay for the repairs. Further if he doesn't not pay you will consider court action.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. I will give him one last chance. As his invoice states a 5 year guarantee for all work undertaken I suppose I can go back to the legal side at a later date if the work is still not completed properly?

Yes you can bring legal action within 6 years from the date of the defective service provided.

I hope I have clarified the position if so please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your time and expertise

Your welcome