Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I am multi track claimant litigating in person. Defendant is

I am multi track claimant litigating in person. Defendant is represented by top tier 1 solicitors. Defendant sent me an email asking for me and her to meet up without solicitors.I said, no let’s do it on email or even WhatsApp.She is in insisting we meet up. (Anywhere I like and can bring whoever I like though she will be solo).Please forget about whether I should or her breach to her solicitor, has anyone come across this before and if so what are their motives for doing this?

My guess is to settle the matter.

However it's a risky move because it could make or break your case. The meeting will give you an insight into what the defence is thinking of but at the same time she can get information about you to feedback to her solicitors.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi thanks very much however why can’t we just do that over email? Why meet in person? If I did meet in person what should I beware of?

Please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to talk whilst I type

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also what information will she be looking for if we did meet?

I think my email may make the process longer given the conversation will take longer than a conversation.

Body language in response to questions she puts to you. Any admissions to any things she thinks you are lying about.

Given you are sceptical about the face to face meet up which is understanable I suggest you meet her in the middle and suggest a telephone conversation at a suitable date and time

I hope the information provided clarifies the position if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But (and believe me I’m not being obtuse!!) let’s say I tell her it’s all loads of lies and I’m playing with her. She tells solicitor and I then deny everything, ‘never said that’ kinda thing? What’s the point?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Will she secretly film me then show the judge?

Recording you is a possibility.

But on the flip side you may learn about her best attacks hence it's a risky move that can make or break your case.

I hope I have clarified the position if so please rate the assistance provided by clicking 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Would your answers change if I said she has denied everything for 18 months. Then the CCMC was vacated since I sent in an application to strike out the defence as it had about 30 false statements which was backed up by 70 odd hard evidential proof. They want to get it all sorted by Christmas. Does that change things?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The court have vacated the CCMC and sent up hearing to deal with the application for 3 months after that.

My answer will still stay the same but will advice you to be a lot more wary. I will go as far as saying taking a note pad to make a note of things said given the false statements already mentioned

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Really? Why more wary? What do I need to be wary of? What will they say? I will give you a simple example of one of their lies: they said mr x is not a chef eg pure example. So I printed out his linked in profile which says hi, I’m mr x and I’m a chef!’ . What would be their absolute dream result - theirs not mine
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also two final things: as you know I’m on my own. They are a huge company with a top legal team. They have not replied in 3 days since I said I don’t want to meet and want to do it by email (fine so it will be slower but we’ll get there) 1. Are they being vindictive? And will they have the upper hand in the meeting? 2. How would the judge/court feel regarding all of this if they knew? Thanks so much

More wary given the other side do not appear plausible.

To be honest having considered the whole information i suggest any meeting done must be done with her solicitors agreement because in absence of her solicitors agreement you will be in breach of the rules speaking to her directly. Therefore before considering any meeting i suggest you tell her that i am unable to do so unless you obtain your solicitors agreement and perhaps suggest mediation too at her expense given she is keen to discuss the matter with you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’m really sorry! What do you mean, “they don’t appear plausible”? Why? What do you mean? Also how would the judge feel about all of this do you think? Would they not give two hoots or be disgusted?

Plausible in this context means someone not trustworthy. I said this because you mentioned the other side made false statements.

The judge's involvement with the meeting will depend on what comes out during the meeting and whether the information that comes out is disclosed to the judge before or during the trial hearing.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok given all of that, will the judge look down on me if I don’t go? Ie will they penalise me for not trying to settle?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are they being vindictive and trying to take advantage of me? They know I’ve never done this before and I’m on my own. They’re a company more ‘used’ to this. What’s your opinion?

The question is what is the purpose of the meeting.

My guess was to settle the claim, which may be wrong. However if my guess is correct and you didn't go then unless you have a good reason then you could be penalized by the court for not attending.

I dont know if they are being vindictive and trying to take advantage of you as everyone has to be approached as an individual but my suggestion will be find out the reason for the meeting, whether her solicitors permits you to speak her directly and whether the meeting can be done via telephone.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
This is what she said: is a way that we can reach an agreement in order for this not to go into 2020 and beyond.

Would you be open to meeting me in person, just you and I without the solicitors, to discuss a way for us to close this off this year, before Christmas, and so that we both go into 2020 with this behind us and we are both able to focus on the future?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Apologies I missed some:

Over the past year, there has been a lot of correspondence and I for one, would hope that we both have the same objective of being able to take a step back and see whether there is a way that we can reach an agreement in order for this not to go into 2020 and beyond.

Please refer a copy of the letter to her solicitors and notify her solicitors that given they are acting on her behalf they should confirm whether you and their client can discuss directly in respect of settling the claim.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
You are fabulous thanks so much for your time

Your welcome and all the best on your case.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks very much