How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78055
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in the Cayman Islands and will be traveling to the UK

This answer was rated:

I live in the Cayman Islands and will be traveling to the UK this weekend because my son has been incarcerated in the UK and we are unable to
communicate with him. They will not give us his Prison ID Number nor even confirm he is in HMP High Down. prison His mother and I are coming to the UK to check on him but we understand we will need the assistance of a Lawyer. We urgently need assistance so that we can book an appointment to see him early next week. My questtion is...can your firm assign a solicitor to help us?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are Caymanians and live in the Cayman Islands (Cayman is one of the UK's few remaining colonies). we will arrive in the UK on Sunday and can meet with a lawyer on Monday.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried everything we know to do but we have been ignored at every turn so much that we are considering taking legal action against the system. We have also been in contact with the Cayman Islands Embassy (located at Dover Street) but we are not making much progress. Because of this we are coming to see what we can get done.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We need someone to help us get an appointment to see our son and try to make plans to get him back home. It is a long story...we just need a listening ear and a helping hand from someone who knows the law.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

We cannot find him for you but I can tell you how to do it. But you might not get it done by the weekend.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
While waiting for the call, I can confirm that my son is at HMP High Down. Apparently he is unable to call us and we can't reach him because they require us to know his ID number. We don't even know his charge.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know it is late in the UK now. In the Cayman Islands is now 7:12 in the evening. When the solicitor can cal,l all
he/she has to do is to dial my number and hang up and I will call back immediately. On the other hand she/he can call me on whatsApp.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will close now and wait for the call sometime tomorrow. Just bear in mind that our time zone is 5 hours behind the UK zone. Thanks. As you can see, I receive messages through

I'm not going to be able to call. I don't think it works if you are abroad anyway. Did you see my post above?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It now seems like the Cayman Islands Embassy has the matter in hand and are dealing with it. Therefore it will not be necessary to continue our conversation further. It can work but obviously there is little interest on your part to help. A wasted L50 I must say. Best regards.

No problem. All the best.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you