How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9848
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Curtains and blinds have been ordered, made to measure at

This answer was rated:

Curtains and blinds have been ordered, made to measure at cost of £2700,and fitted, but inspection shows they have been shoddily with poor stitching and gaps in stitching. Can I reject them and request a refund?
Assistant: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lancashire
Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: Informed the company but he is claiming that he is unable to deal with the problem as his wife has been taken ill and suggested we deal with the lady, not an employee, who made them
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can you advise if the cost of advice?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

Yes, though the cooling-off period does not apply as your item is made to measure, you can still obtain a refund if the curtains and blinds are faulty, or not as described. You have a right to reject and obtain a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I would recommend that you send the company (not the lady who made the curtains) a formal letter before action to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. Please let me know if you cannot see the letter which I have uploaded. You will need to tailor this letter to your situation.

You may also want to threaten a report to Trading Standards (tel: 03454 040506) to inform them of the breach of consumer rights.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (£105 based on a claim for £2700) and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property (and then apply to force a sale), application to wind up the company, apply to summons them to court for questioning, all of which can ensure you are actually repaid the money.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Should the curtains be taken down and returned to the supplier please?

Yes as they are defective and they need to be returned to the supplier. The refund should then be processed for you - I would not delay doing this either as your rights diminish with time.

JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you