F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I live in a rented flat with my 9 year old. Our heating and

I live in a rented flat with my 9 year old. Our heating and hot water system broke down on friday and probably will not be fix for another 4 days, waiting on a part for boiler. Can I ask the landlord for a reduction in rent this month
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: East london leyton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont think so, thanks

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an emall not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

so you have no heating and hot water at all?

has he supplied other heaters?

is he a private or is this through an agency?

how long have you been there?

why will it take another 4 days to fix?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Have lived here 16 months
No heating or hot water at all
No they have not supplied heaters, they told me to go and buy heaters up to £50 worth and they would reimburse me once I had supplied proof of purchase.
Through an agency JLL
It is taking a long time, because when I first reported the problem they sent the wrong engineer's for the particular boiler, so the third plumber was the one who realised that a part needed to be ordered. That was 4 days into the problem. From there the part is going to take ? A week there was a delay in ordering the part because of miss communication with the property manager and the maintenance company.

You can ask for a reduction in rent but he is under no obligation to do so. You would have to take into court if he refuses and you would be in arrears of rent, if you stop paying the rent meanwhile. It would also be in arrears of rent if you made a deduction so that’s probably not a good idea the landlord is under a duty to provide a home which is fit for human habitation and as it is present, this is not fit but the landlord cannot do an impossibility and if he is doing everything that he can to get the heating fixed then even a court judge cannot order him to do an impossibility. Meanwhile however the landlord can of course provide temporary heating because oil filled radiators and fan heaters, although expensive to run, would provide a short-term solution.

You close buy a couple of fan heaters and of the landlord will not pay for them, taking to the Small Claims Court.

Remember that you are under a duty to mitigate your loss and therefore you cannot simply sit by, without heating, and complain while simply racking up you think is substantial compensation for the landlord’s failings, when a short-term solution would be relatively cheap.

You cannot course report this to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority by the time they come out, it’s likely to be fixed if it’s only going to be another 4 days.

I’m sorry, I appreciate this is not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thankyou