Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I'm a tenant in a commercial property. When I moved in

Hello, I'm a tenant in a commercial property. When I moved in earlier this year the property had a big gas space heater installed that didn't work. The landlord said he would get it repaired but an engineer said it was unsafe and needed to be replaced (costing £4k).
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord has offered to replace the gas heater with a much cheaper electric space heater. However this will end up costing 3/4 x more in on-going heating costs for me. Can I insist he replaces like for like or contributes towards the extra heating costs?
Hi, thank you for your message. Have you already spoken to the landlord about your concerns?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, I've mentioned to him that using electric would cost me a lot more every year but he seemed unconcerned.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello?

Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you write him a formal letter setting out your claim and explaining why you do not agree with him replacing the gas heater with that particular company. If you have alternative companies that will cost you less list these names in the letter and ask the landlord to either reconsider or pay part of the costs(state how much). Also attach any other evidence you may have such as evidence of the extra costs.Unfortunately it will be for the landlord to decide which company to go with, however, if it exceeds what you expected to pay when you moved in you may have the right to terminate the contract. If that is the course of action you would like to take you should state this at the end of the letter. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Joy. Not sure I mentioned alternative companies, just that the original gas heater was being replaced with an electric one which although is cheaper for the landlord to buy, is more costly for me to run (electricity costs more per kilowatt than gas). I think some of your answer is still relevant so thanks anyway. Can't see anywhere to 'accept' your answer.

Hi, thank you for your message. There will be a box to accept my answer or you can click the five stars on the top right corner of your screen. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
You didn't actually answer the question but I'll give you a 3. However, the answer was poor.