How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1488
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I'm a tenant in a commercial property. When I moved in

This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm a tenant in a commercial property. When I moved in earlier this year the property had a big gas space heater installed that didn't work. The landlord said he would get it repaired but an engineer said it was unsafe and needed to be replaced (costing £4k).
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord has offered to replace the gas heater with a much cheaper electric space heater. However this will end up costing 3/4 x more in on-going heating costs for me. Can I insist he replaces like for like or contributes towards the extra heating costs?
Hi, thank you for your message. Have you already spoken to the landlord about your concerns?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I've mentioned to him that using electric would cost me a lot more every year but he seemed unconcerned.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you write him a formal letter setting out your claim and explaining why you do not agree with him replacing the gas heater with that particular company. If you have alternative companies that will cost you less list these names in the letter and ask the landlord to either reconsider or pay part of the costs(state how much). Also attach any other evidence you may have such as evidence of the extra costs.Unfortunately it will be for the landlord to decide which company to go with, however, if it exceeds what you expected to pay when you moved in you may have the right to terminate the contract. If that is the course of action you would like to take you should state this at the end of the letter. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Joy. Not sure I mentioned alternative companies, just that the original gas heater was being replaced with an electric one which although is cheaper for the landlord to buy, is more costly for me to run (electricity costs more per kilowatt than gas). I think some of your answer is still relevant so thanks anyway. Can't see anywhere to 'accept' your answer.

Hi, thank you for your message. There will be a box to accept my answer or you can click the five stars on the top right corner of your screen. Thank you.

Joy Nicholas and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You didn't actually answer the question but I'll give you a 3. However, the answer was poor.