Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Just needed to ask some questions about asylum, not yet, but

Good Afternoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: just needed to ask some questions about asylum
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: not yet, but i am looking to claim asylum cause of my sexual preference i am in danger of going back to my home country
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been living in the UK for 7 years as a student and because of being gay i am in danger to go back to my country by the government and my family and looking to claim asylum as i have no support anymore
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear. Can I confirm what is your question?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, sorry i just wanted to ask if i am able to apply for an asylum and how can i do it ?

Hi, thank you for your message. You must apply for asylum if you want to stay in the UK as a refugee. To be eligible you must have left your country and be unable to go back because you fear persecution.

This persecution must be because of:

• your race
  • your religion
  • your nationality
  • your political opinion
  • anything else that puts you at risk because of the social, cultural, religious or political situation in your country, for example, your gender, gender identity or sexual orientation

You must have failed to get protection from authorities in your own country. You register your asylum claim at a ‘screening’. This is a meeting with an immigration officer where you tell them about your case. If you’re already in the UK, you must bring documents that prove your UK address.

At your screening you’ll:

• be photographed
  • have your fingerprints taken
  • have an interview to check who you are and where you’re from

You register your asylum claim at a ‘screening’. This is a meeting with an immigration officer where you tell them about your case.

At your screening you’ll:

• be photographed
  • have your fingerprints taken

You’ll be asked why you want asylum. You can bring written evidence to support your claim if you want, as well as your identification documents.

You must make an appointment with the asylum intake unit if you’re already in the UK (Asylum intake unit appointments line Telephone: 0300 123 4193)

You will have an interview.

Use this interview to explain:

• how you were persecuted in your country
  • why you’re afraid to go back to your country

You may be asked questions about difficult topics but it’s important that you explain what has happened to you and your family. Y

I would strongly advise that you instruct a solicitor in your area to represent you and help you through this process as this can be quite a complicated process.

You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

You can also find an immigration lawyer in your area here: https://home.oisc.gov.uk/adviser_finder/finder.aspx

You should also contact Asylum Help UK Telephone: 0808 801 0503
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (Call Asylum Help UK if you’re an adult asylum seeker or the dependant of an adult asylum seeker) and Asylum Support Application UK
Telephone: 0808 801 0503 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm. Call Asylum Support Application UK if you’re an asylum seeker and can’t support yourself financially and want to apply for asylum support.

I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.