How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16671
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My father died in a nursing home, under horrible

This answer was rated:

My father died in a nursing home , under horrible circumstances . This home has been closed and police investigation is ongoing .
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: in Cornwall , September 2017 , case is still under investigation.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: my inititial report to CQC , pictures , statement from undertaker . Home was closed , case involves the home , social services and the Doctors involved .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: a lot of unresolved grief , questions , and the length of time this is all taking

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering if it’s too late for me to file a suit in regards ***** ***** father . It is a large , complex investigation which has not come to criminal court yet .
I generally do not believe in suing , however the depths of the issues ....I just can’t past what happened to my father . This should not happen to anyone , never mind multiple people !

You have 3 years for negligence and 6 years under contract.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you