Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a regular gym member at Nuffiled Health in Crawley.

good afternoon. I am a regular gym member at Nuffiled Health in Crawley. Their gym is on a private enterprise park off of and away from any pedestrian thoroughfare. The car park is often busy so when I attend on my motorbike I sometime park in front of the gym out of courtesy for car drivers. I do not block any access to the gym and the gym are quite happy for me to park there. I recently parked there one evening at approx. 7 o clock and returned to find a parking ticket on my motorcycle. I appealed saying I parked there with the gyms full approval but they refused to accept my explaination and say I must pay the fine in full otherwise they will send a debt recovery agent round to collect the money and I will occur an additional £70 fee as a result. The site security guard tells me to ignore them but I am not sure where I stand.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: the address is no 3, Crawley leisure park, Ifield avenue, crawley
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: not yet, it hasn't got that far, but the letter they sent me does not mention court, it says the direct action if I do not pay is that they will send debt collectors round to my address
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: on the way into the gym I mentioned where I am parked to the receptionist and they said it was ok. There are signs up in the vicinity saying park in allotted spots, there are no motorcycle parking spaces anywhere

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Was it a private fine?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
yes from ukpc - they say they don't recognise the normal ombudsman on only recognise POPLA which I am told they help fund
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I have attached a copy of their letter

That is right. You would appeal to them and then POPLA
This is quite normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

Its no different from the banks paying to fund the Financial Ombudsman.

Even if POPLA find against you, you can refuse to pay.

It is just a civil matter. Then if you still dont pay all they can do is issue a small claim.

You can then contest the matter before a Judge.

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
so when they say the next step is to send debt collectors round to my house that is a bluff? they need to go to court first?

Bluff. They have to go to Court first.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
yes thank you - I will give you your rating - you have put my mind at rest