How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 720
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

I was evicted 14mths ago on a section 21 after being there 8

This answer was rated:

I was evicted 14mths ago on a section 21 after being there 8 years and putting #15000 into the property. My partner had been passed 9mths. I had no rent arrears. The landlord has now sent me court papers (I do not know how he found out my address but I have been followed) stating I owe him over #5000 for things that I had bought and put into the which I took with me
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I only received paperwork this morning
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Liverpool 6
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now thank you


I will be assisting you today.

OK, so from what I have read, do you dispute this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I note you have made a Phone Call request but the payment has failed for some reason. You can try again and follow the on screen instructions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know why my payment isn't being accepted

Unfortunately I cannot see what is happening on your end. Would you like to try again? Alternatively, we can continue through this chat at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried twice so can we continue like this if that's ok

Yes, no problem at all.

So do you dispute this matter with your ex-Landlord? What happened?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The house had been occupied by students and was in a dreadful condition. My partner worked for the landlord who owns a number of houses and he wanted a family in this one. I had the house basically gutted and the landlord, my partner and others did the work. I had a whole new kitchen put in, a large shower, slate floor, carpeted throughout, pained and decorated, a cast iron fireplace with a flue, cast iron bath and marble tiles put in.

I'm sorry to hear that. OK, were there any provisions in the tenancy referring to works to the property?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The landlord was totally aware of everything I was doing as he took neighbours in to view the house to show them how beautiful it was. No issues for 8 years. My partner - his best friend - passed away July 2017. Landlord gave me a section 21 in April 18n with no reason and no it was a tenancy with myself my partner and the house was unfurnished

I see. Just to confirm that the Landlord is claiming for this as a debt from 8 years ago?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was when all the work was done I had to move out 14months ago

Yes, ok so the work was all done 8 years ago and your ex-Landlord is only just now claiming for such things which were taken away?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I removed things that I had bought and had put in the house because they were mine. I left his property Sept 29th 2018 and have just received this court order today

As a claim has been issued by your ex-Landlord, you must respond to it. Please do not ignore this claim as it could result in a CCJ being issued against you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I respond I don't know what to do!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi are you still there

Hello, sorry I am just typing a response for you now.

You can defend the claim by either disputing it in full or partially. You should have received a reply form along with the Court papers?

You must respond to the claim within 14 days of service of the Court papers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. Do I have any chance of winning something like this ?

You can ask the Court for extra time should you wish to consult with a solicitor.

I wouldn't be able to say for certain without knowing the full facts. Although not necessary, I would advise a personal appointment with a solicitor, hence, why a local solicitor is ideal, to allow you to see the solicitor in person and to explain all the intricacies of your case. I would ask for a free interview with your local solicitor and also to see if they are prepared to work on a "fixed fee basis" to help you. Fixed Fees we will at least give you certainty in terms of cost and also allow you to budget for the litigation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you for your help

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for my time. It is important to leave a rating as is how Experts are are credited for their time. All the best. -LN
LegalNinja and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you