Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

A supposed friend of mine who lives next door asked me if he

Hi, so a supposed friend of mine who lives next door asked me if he could use my paypal account to recieve money from a buyer for clothes he was supposedly selling. it turns out he did not send the clothes and now i am being held responsible for this and have got to pay it. the amount is just under 3000£. is there a potential case or could i take himn to court or im not sure. could you please assist me with this
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none as it is realtively new,
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have got all the previous chat history between us of him asking me

Welcome to Just Answer.

Given you have evidence(chat history) to support your version of events you can take your ex friend to the small claims court to recover every penny (plus interest) that you paid for the clothes in question.

Do you understand what i have stated if yes i will proceed to the next step.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Anthony, so just to confirm. I did not pay anything for the clothes I was just a middle man who received the funds and sent it straight on to him expecting him to send the clothes he said he would. If this is what you understood then yes we are in alignment. And next steps would be appreciated

Given you are not a party to the agreement between the ex friend and the buyer you should argue that you are not entitled to pay as the agreement is between your friend and the buyer. Therefore any issues the buyer has should be directed to the friend. You should send evidence that you and your friend are not the same person and also send evidence(chat history)to the buyer to show you are also a victim of your ex friends activities.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know. Further in the event you do pay please let me know because I will then provide steps on how yo recover the money from your ex friend.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok. So the issue is, that PayPal have refunded the buyer through buyer protection given they do not receive the items paid for. So last week they had already deducted it from my PayPal account and have said my account will go on to collections if I don’t pay it as it is my account and I am liable as I should not have let my friend use it.

You can take steps to recover the money from your friend via court action and the steps to undertake are noted below

Write a letter to your friend explaining the circumstances that led to him owing the debt. Also attach evidence to support your commen6i.e the chat history and PayPals comments.

Notify him within the letter to pay within 14 days failing which you will commence court proceedings to seek the debt plus legal costs and interest.

Do you require the courts website to start the claim if he does not pay up and further the site will give guidance on how to start the claim too

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok that sounds great. I will write up the letter when I’m back from work and I will give him the notice period explaining the steps that are being taken.

If you could please send over the details of courts website and guidance so I can run through it that would be great

Please see below the link to commence court proceedings.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Please before you leave JA today please click on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen to rate the assistance provided as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for the advise and guidance on this. I will be sure to put 5 stars once I leave JA. Is there anything else you could notify me on or assist to help this go smooth or am I good to go?

I will put at the top of your letter these words

LETTER BEFORE ACTION in bold date the letter and ensure you keep a copy of the letter too.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok, and this should be sent as a letter to his house and not via Facebook or message?

I suggest you send one to his house and via email and Facebook as the aim is he knows what's coming if he ignores your action.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes you have. Thank you for your advice and prompt responses. I wish you all the best.

No problem and please don't forget to rate the assistance provided to improve services in future.